[Orgmode] Re: Add \EUR to `org-html-entities'

From: Ulf Stegemann
Subject: [Orgmode] Re: Add \EUR to `org-html-entities'
Date: Thu, 03 Dec 2009 16:42:57 +0100

Hi Carsten,

Carsten Dominik <address@hidden> wrote:

> On Dec 2, 2009, at 8:38 AM, Ulf Stegemann wrote:
>
>> is there anything that speaks against adding
>>
>> --8<--------------------------snip-------------------------->8---
>>
>> ("EUR" . "&euro;")
>>
>> --8<--------------------------snap-------------------------->8---
>>
>> to `org-html-entities'? \EUR{} is provided by the Marvosym package and
>> &euro; a valid (X)HTML representation of the euro sign. Maybe ever
>> better would be to add
>
> I would like to minimize external dependencies.

well, that's something that speaks against it :)

> Which distributions carry this package?

Marvosym comes with my TeX Live LaTeX distro and used to come with teTeX
AFAIR. I had the impression the package was rather widely used but I
maybe wrong.

>> ("EURdig" . "&euro;")
>> ("EURhv" . "&euro;")
>> ("EURcr" . "&euro;")
>> ("EURtm" . "&euro;")
>
> I do not understand the purpose of these extra symbols, and why
> they are all equal in HTML????

While \EUR becomes the `official' euro symbol, \EURdig is a variant of
that with the same width as digits, \EURhv is a euro symbol that fits to
Helvetica, \EURcr dto. to Courier and \EURtm dto. to Times. This makes a
difference in LaTeX but is all the same in HTML: &euro;.

Anyway, adding those symbols is not strictly necessary since everybody
can use the eurosym package (where \euro{} command comes from). I like
the Marvosym package better but I can also stick to what I currently do:

#+LATEX_HEADER: \newcommand{\euro}{\EUR}

Ulf