[Orgmode] Re: [babel] Give a name to the plot

From: Sébastien Vauban
Subject: [Orgmode] Re: [babel] Give a name to the plot
Date: Fri, 04 Dec 2009 10:18:51 +0100

Hi Dan,

Dan Davison wrote:
> Sébastien Vauban <address@hidden> writes:
>>
>> Just a quick question (before testing and answering properly, tomorrow, to
>> your post): how do you give a name to an R plot?
>>
>> Just taking your example file:
>>
>> #+srcname: directory-pie-chart(dirs = directories)
>>    #+begin_src R :session R-pie-example
>>    pie(dirs[,1], labels = dirs[,2])
>>    #+end_src
>>  [[file:../../images/babel/dirs.png]]
>>
>> I don't see how the `dirs.png' name is derivated from the above block?
>
> Hi Seb,
>
> Sorry, more documentation shortcomings. When that was written it did not
> happen automatically, but it does now.

You don't have to be sorry. *I am* more than grateful by all you already have
given to us... A documentation lack is something expected in such big
projects, still on the move. That's not a problem for me. Your responsiveness
on the mailing list does correct such little features.

>> I've tried arguments such as `:file' or `filename:', but did not get any
>> success...
>
> e.g.
>
> :file filename.png
>
> should do it. Here's the relevant commit note. I'll move this into the
> documentation now.
>
>     [...]
>
>     An example block is (although both bg and fg can be passed directly as
>     header args)
>
>     \#+begin_src R :file z.pdf :width 8 :height 8 :R-dev-args bg="olivedrab",
> fg="hotpink"
>       plot(matrix(rnorm(100), ncol=2), type="l")
>     \#+end_src

It does work, yes!

Though, it did not when I tested, as I surrounded the filename with double
quotes:

:file "filename.png"

No message. No file generated. That was the observation I could make.

Thanks for helping...

>> Currently, all my R blocks produce an `Rplots.pdf' graph file... Don't see
>> where that is coming from... Pay attention: I'm an R user for the last 3 days
>
> That is the default in R when you issue plot commands from a
> non-interactive R process. But if you use the :file header arg all
> graphical output will be diverted to the named file as outlined above.

OK.

A side question (now that I have more graphics appearing in my example
document): is there/would there/will there be a way to regenerate all the
graphics included in my document?

I would be nice, as input data is changing over time. Let's take the example
you took in your doc: the directory organization on your disk. Let's imagine
you have 3 such graphics for 3 different disks. How could you get all of these
external commands launched for getting new data and new plots?

I can imagine (that's how Carsten does see the things with the tables, if I
understand correctly) this never will or would be automatic upon opening of
file -- and I can share the motivation for such decision. But can we imagine a
command that does the update of all blocks -- so, when the user does decide it?

Currently, I have to go in every block and C-c C-c them all, right?

Best regards,
  Seb

--
Sébastien Vauban