Re: [Orgmode] Beamer support in Org-mode

From: Nick Dokos
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] Beamer support in Org-mode
Date: Thu, 10 Dec 2009 18:31:05 -0500

Mark Elston <address@hidden> wrote:

> Thomas S. Dye wrote:
> >
> > On Dec 10, 2009, at 10:49 AM, Mark Elston wrote:

> >> My case is similar.  I teach a class each week and, so far, have created
> >> two documents; a set of handouts and my notes for teaching.  Generally
> >> these documents start from the same original and I modify and expand the
> >> notes I use for teaching while leaving the handouts a smaller doc for
> >> those in the class to take their own notes from.
> >>
> >> I don't use beamer as the handouts tend to be 6-8 pages of 'normal' text
> >> as it is and my teaching notes are usually far larger.  I don't want to
> >> manipulate a stack of paper while teaching.
>
> I use Org-babel to accomplish this.  Its literate programming
> facility lets you define a block of text and re-use it wherever you
> like.  You can "tangle" as many .tex files as you want from a single
> Org-mode document.
>
> You can find some examples here:
>
> http://orgmode.org/worg/org-contrib/babel/org-babel-uses.php

IIUC, another way to go (possibly much simpler than org-babel[1]) is to use
selective export:

     #+EXPORT_SELECT_TAGS:   Tags that select a tree for export
     #+EXPORT_EXCLUDE_TAGS:  Tags that exclude a tree from export

Mark the handout and notes sections with different tags and export
the document twice, once with the handout tag selected and once
with the notes tag selected.

HTH,
Nick

[1] NB: org-babel is another area that I know very little about, but
hope to learn more about during vacation (although by this time, the
todo list for vacation has expanded sufficiently to occupy several
lifetimes...)