Re: [Orgmode] Customizing how inactive timestamps are displayed

From: Nicolas Girard
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] Customizing how inactive timestamps are displayed
Date: Tue, 15 Dec 2009 22:57:22 +0100

2009/12/14 Carsten Dominik <address@hidden>:

> On Dec 10, 2009, at 11:34 PM, Nicolas Girard wrote:
>
>> Hi again,
>> in the agenda view, inactive timestamps are displayed like:
>>
>>  category: 12:50...... [ Some stuff
>>
>> Is the '[ ' intentional, or is caused by a bug in my configuration ?
>> I find it a little bit disturbing, as my eyes keep looking for an
>> hypothetic closing ']'...
>
> This is intentional, as an indication that this is indeed an
> inactive time stamp.  While I can see that you might be
> looking for the closing bracket, I also think that this is a
> quite natural way to mark inactive time stamps.  Sure, I *could* make
> this marker string a variable - what would you propose as better
> options?

Hi Carsten,

my personal taste would be some kind of horizontal sign, because it
would look closer to what I'd have drawn myself using pen & paper,
answering my own question "hey, what did I do today ?" (French people
tend to use dashes when writing lists).

That said, I'm using the free Inconsolata [*] font as my main font in
emacs, which offers a rich collection of various geometric shapes &
symbols. So, at no extra cost, I can enhance the aspect of my Org
buffers.

Attached is a little example to demonstrate what can be done. To get
this result:
1. I had to redefine org-agenda-format-date-aligned so that I can
replace the hardcoded lines surrounding dates with better looking ones
2. I used the "Watch" unicode character to represent scheduled events:
    (setq org-agenda-scheduled-leaders '("⌚ " "⌚ "))
3. I replaced the hardcoded '[' character denoting inactive timestamps
with a white triangle

See ? Who said Org couldn't be sexier ?

[*] http://www.levien.com/type/myfonts/inconsolata.html

--