Re: [Orgmode] keep newlines on pdf export

From: Carsten Dominik
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] keep newlines on pdf export
Date: Wed, 16 Dec 2009 07:24:32 +0100

On Dec 16, 2009, at 5:05 AM, Eraldo Helal wrote:

Hi Carsten

I am always much more interested in thinking about a solution
if I am not just presented with an abstract wish, but rather
with a concrete example where this might be useful.
First of all I want to thank all of you (again) for this great mailing-list.
I am a great fan of the idea of writing an org file and being able to
export it to differnt formats as desired. (ASCII, html, pdf, etc)
In my case the absence of consistent newlines (as present in html
export) was not that much of a problem because the document
(scientific article on complex numbers) does not need to be exported
to html at all... so I just added "\\" to the end of every line.
Nontheless I took notice of the problem and wanted to get and give
some feedback.

Hi Eraldo,

still, an example would have been useful, to generate more ideas.

In the absence of an example, a few more comments/ideas that have
not yet come up (unless I missed them..)

"\\" at the end of a line does also the right thing in HTML
export, i.e. it is converted to <br/>

Other possibilities to preserve line breaks include

1. the #+begin_verse...#+end_verse block
2. A #+begin_example ... #+end_example block
3. Putting the numbers into a table
4. Starting each line with ": " (also makes them end up in an
   example block)

Cheers

- Carsten

Greetings from Austria,