[Orgmode] Org-mode as QDA-Software?

From: Sven Bretfeld
Subject: [Orgmode] Org-mode as QDA-Software?
Date: 19 Dec 2009 00:43:52 +0100

Hi all, especially you org developers out there

Org mode would be a nice base for bringing a good QDA-Software to the
world of free software, isn't it? QDAS is a special type of software for
qualitative data analysis[¹], mostly used in Sociology and related
fields of Science. Existing programs like Atlas.ti[²] and MaxQDA[³] are
what I deem the essence of proprietary stuff: very expensive, elitist
and utterly unfree (but widely used by research groups who have enough
money at their disposal).

AFAIK, there is only one piece of QDA software available for Linux,
gTAMS Analyzer, which is quite awkward in my opinion.

I often advocate QDAS to students and PhD students for managing
Discourse Analysis projects, and its always embarrassing to push them to
expensive programs. But I think org-mode is just one step away from
being a powerful QDAS, especially with org-babel, I think. This lack in
the world of free software might be only a small addon-package away. It
would be the first cross-platform solution, and group functionalities
could be implemented via git, CVS or SVN. To my regret, I'm just a
devoted user, in no way a developer.

Is any developer out there who deems this a worthwhile project? Students
all over the world would be grateful (if we manage to make it known via
Google and Wikipedia).

Greetings

Sven

[¹]  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Qualitative_research.