Re: [Orgmode] Re: Best way to use org-mode as a work log

From: Russell Adams
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] Re: Best way to use org-mode as a work log
Date: Sun, 20 Dec 2009 16:25:37 -0600

> Thanks Matt, and also Mueen for the responses.   I have a work log
> spanning the last 5 or so years on my current project.  It's a plain
> text file that I just edit in emacs, plain and simple.  Here is how my
> work log is organized and how I've done my initial conversion to
> org-mode.  My current format is of the form:
> 05/14/09
>
>     Accounting system:
>             Work on CSS for tables
>                  ** Use standard fonts!
>
>              Design schema for SAP integration.
>
> 05/15/09
> 05/16/09

My workflow & projects is the opposite. I use a logical layout
organized by topic, plan, notes, etc. Each time I leave org and return
I insert an inactive timestamp, as well as making sure that TODO item
changes are logged.

I find organizing by topic or plan to be immensely easier to use.

Then, if I need a time view into my work, I pull up the agenda. I'll
often use the logbook mode, and if I want real detail I'll activate
the inactive timestamps.

Its a beautiful way to work, allowing me to focus on comprehensive
notes and organizing the issues at hand, while org provides alternate
views into that data.

Thanks.

Russell Adams                            address@hidden