[Orgmode] Re: Agenda repeats diary entries

From: Bernt Hansen
Subject: [Orgmode] Re: Agenda repeats diary entries
Date: Wed, 30 Dec 2009 17:22:43 -0500

Nathan Neff <address@hidden> writes:

> On Wed, Dec 30, 2009 at 5:32 AM, Bernt Hansen <address@hidden> wrote:
>
>     Your org-agenda-files need to be files in org-mode (normally ending in
>     .org).  Your org-agenda-diary-file should also be an org file (your
>     journal.org).  BUT the diary-file is a totally different animal.  Mine
>     is set to ~/diary which is a zero-length empty file.  I don't use the
>     standard Emacs diary at all.  I have org-agenda-include-diary set to nil
>     and just use my diary.org file (your journal.org) and my regular org
>     files for all of my appointment information.
>
>     HTH,
>     Bernt
>
> Thank you very much.  I finally got it to work, using only this setting:
>
> (setq org-agenda-diary-file "~/Documents/personal/journal.org")
>
> Whenever I press "i" in agenda, org-mode puts date/timestamped entries in the
> correct file, using
> org mode formatting, which is what I want.
>
> Since I don't use the diary-file ~/Documents/journal file, it seems odd to
> have to define it, but oh
> well :-)
>
> Thank you very much -- I will use the org-agenda-diary-file much more now.

You can probably do

(setq diary-file nil)

I just did that.

This variable seems to want to be a filename - and there's no way to
customize it to nil on my version of emacs... but I never use it so it
doesn't bother me and it can point to any non-existent or empty file.

I used the diary eons ago and so I have a leftover empty ~/diary file in
my setup.  I have since moved to keeping my diary entries in the
org-agenda-diary-file instead.

I've just set diary-file to nil and nothing broke immediately so I'll
just leave it that way until something bad happens :)

I'm glad you got that issue fixed.

Regards,
Bernt