Re: [Orgmode] protocol for PDFs?

From: D M German
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] protocol for PDFs?
Date: Sat, 02 Jan 2010 12:17:05 -0800

 Jan Böcker twisted the bytes to say:

 Jan> On 02.01.2010 16:20, Darlan Cavalcante Moreira wrote:
 >> Evince also has an option ("-p") to open the file in a
 >> given page and this would be enough for a link to a PDF file. Since I prefer
 >> using Evince instead of docview mode I would be very happy to test it.

 Jan> I have implemented an experimental version of org-docview.el which
 Jan> allows you to specify an external PDF viewer. Check out the docview-dev
 Jan> branch at

 Jan> http://github.com/jboecker/org-mode

 Jan> To test this, pull from there or apply the following patch, then:
 Jan> M-x customize-variable org-docview-pdf-app

 Jan> Set it to "evince %s -p %p" and docview: links to PDF files should now
 Jan> open in evince. There may still be bugs lurking here, and I am thinking
 Jan> about generalizing this to use a variable org-docview-apps which would
 Jan> behave like org-file-apps.

Great. I have now a patch for xournal that supports page numbers from
the command line:

https://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=detail&aid=2924825&group_id=163434&atid=827735

The format is --page=%p or -p %p

It is likely to make it into xournal.  I am now adding an option to use
org-protocol to create the link from xournal. more later.

--dmg

 Jan> This would duplicate functionality of file: links again, which bugs me,
 Jan> but on the other hand it would be difficult to reuse org-file-apps for
 Jan> this, as I suggested in my previous email -- when opening a file: link
 Jan> to a PDF, the %p would not get replaced and may confuse the PDF viewer
 Jan> application :(

 Jan> Also, YAGNI may apply here if nobody uses docview: links to link to
 Jan> non-PDF files anyway.

 Jan> -----------

 Jan> new experimental variable: org-docview-pdf-app

 Jan> External application to open docview: links pointing to a pdf file.
 Jan> Possible values:

    'emacs:    Visit the file with emacs using doc-view-mode.
    string:    An external PDF viewer application.
               %s will be replaced by the file name.
               %p will be replaced by the page number.

               Example:
               evince %s -p %p