[Orgmode] Re: Agenda clock reporting

From: Bernt Hansen
Subject: [Orgmode] Re: Agenda clock reporting
Date: Sun, 03 Jan 2010 09:22:14 -0500

> On Dec 22, 2009, at 2:03 PM, Bernt Hansen wrote:
>
>> Hi Carsten,
>>
>> I use the agenda clock report during the end of my day.  Would it be
>> difficult to have it include the currently clocking task if a clock is
>> active?
>>
>> I clock billable and nonbillable tasks during the day.  If I want to
>> stop working at 8 billable hours I currently run the clock report and
>> then find the current active clock entry (last one on the page with
>> l'
>> in the agenda) and manually add the time accumulated to the clock
>> report
>> to see when I'm done for the day.  This is a bit tedious and error
>> prone.
>>
>> I'm thinking that since agenda clock reports are not permanent it
>> wouldn't hurt to include the current clocking item in the agenda
>> report if that is easy to do.  I've been digging around in the clock
>> report code in my limited spare time but haven't yet made any useful
>> progress on this task.
>>
>> Any pointers on where to make this modification would be appreciated.
>
> Hi Bernt,
>
> I think the right place would be `org-clock-sum'.  Right now,
> this looks only for complete clock lines.  You could modify the regexp
> to check for incomplete lines (first time stamp only) and then check
> if the org-clock-marker points to the current line.  If yes, you could
> use the current time as the end time and proceed.
>
> Send me a patch if you get this to work, with a customization variable
> to turn this off.
>
> HTH

Yes it does thanks.  I found the logic that uses the regexp for parsing
the times and summing them in reverse up to the headline in
org-clock-sum.  I haven't modified the regexp yet but was planning
something similar to what you describe above.

   - org-clock-sum
   - Runs through headings in reverse order
   - counts clock entries bottom up to headline
   - adds a text property to the headline with total time
   - need to find out if current heading is clocking
   - add entry for open clock time with closing time to get correct total
   - regexp needs to match open clock entries
   - for open clock entry matches set time to zero
   - reset time if this is the current clocking entry

I'll post the patch whenever it gets done.

Thanks!
Bernt