[Orgmode] Re: Tips on maintaining a knowledge-base ?

From: andrea
Subject: [Orgmode] Re: Tips on maintaining a knowledge-base ?
Date: Sun, 10 Jan 2010 12:20:34 +0100

address@hidden writes:

> I've been using org-mode for a little while, I've kept it really simple
> for now, with only two files :
> - one to act as an inbox, with remember-mode
> - another where I stick just about anything that's been processed from the
> inbox
>
> This is great for managing somewhat 'actionable' items, fitting a
> projects/tasks paradigm, but I keep adding things of a more general
> nature, that I won't be needing on a day-to-day basis.
> i.e. outlines describing a general topic, some sysadmin how-tos, reading
> notes etc
> I see these notes more as an archive of knowledge nuggets on selected
> topics, rather than something I'd need to show up in my agenda view.
> Ideally they would be heavily interlinked in a wiki fashon for easy
> navigation when referring to it int he future, but I haven't put much
> effort into that yet (well it's all in one file for now...).
>
> I was wondering if anyone uses org-mode for this kind of use, and would
> really be interested in reading how you maintain such a system.
> I'm especially interested in methods that relate to structuring and
> 'querying' the knowledge base, since it's of no use if information can't
> be found easily.
>
> regards, julien.
>
> PS : by the way, first post here, so hey everyone !

A nice "trick" but very simple I'm using is to automatically add to my
org-agenda-files every org file that I create.
In this way everything is always reachable via grep/tags/whatever.

Just do this:

(defun org-add-eventually()
  "Adding a file to org-agenda when saved"
  (interactive)
  (if (string= major-mode "org-mode")
      (org-agenda-file-to-front)))

(add-hook 'before-save-hook 'org-add-eventually)