Re: [Orgmode] Global agenda views creates lots of buffers.

From: Carsten Dominik
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] Global agenda views creates lots of buffers.
Date: Fri, 15 Jan 2010 06:50:04 +0100

On Jan 14, 2010, at 4:17 PM, Óscar Fuentes wrote:

I have quite a few org files in org-agenda-files. When a global agenda
view is displayed (the Global TODO, for instance) org-mode visits all
the files and keeps the buffer for each of them. I'll prefer this
behavior:

for each file in org-agenda-files
   have we a buffer containing it?
     no -> create a buffer and visit it
   do our stuff (gather TODO items, etc)
   if we were not visiting the file
     kill the buffer that contains it.

Is there a reason for keeping all those buffers around?

The reason is that org makes links from the agenda to the files
using markers, and markers die when the buffer is closed.

What could be possible is throwing away all buffers that
have not produced an entry.  However, I have worked with the
assumption that once you start the agenda you might run more
agenda commands, so keeping the buffers removes the overhead
of reopening many files again and again.

As Darlan has said, you can exit the agenda with "x" to get
rid of all buffers that where created to make the agenda
and have not been modified since making them.

HTH

- Carsten