Re: [Orgmode] remote reference

From: Carsten Dominik
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] remote reference
Date: Fri, 15 Jan 2010 10:38:10 +0100

On Jan 15, 2010, at 9:49 AM, Karl Eichwalder wrote:

I do not understand how I can reference tables (only the first one?)
in remote files.  The manual says:

Remote references

You may also reference constants, fields and ranges from a different
table, either in the current file or even in a different file.  The
syntax is

    remote(NAME-OR-ID,REF)

where NAME can be the name of a table in the current file as set by a
`#+TBLNAME: NAME' line before the table.  It can also be the ID of an
entry, even in a different file, and the reference then refers to the
first table in that entry. REF is an absolute field or range reference
as described above for example address@hidden' or `$somename', valid in the
referenced table.

= = ======================================================================

remote(FILENAME,REF) does not seem to work.  All the tutorials I
found are either too basic or too advanced or too general.

For tables in a different file, the remote table must be the first table in an outline node, and the outline node must have an ID property.

First configure org-modules and turn on the id module.
Then prepare your target file like this

* here is my table
  :PROPERTIES:
  :ID: DDE64190-0C3D-4088-A303-DA3B60ECEB48
  :END:

   and here we have the table.

The ID can be an arbitrary string, but then you must
make sure yourself that it is globally unique.  Or you
can have Org-mode make the ID for you.

Hope this gets you on the way.

- Carsten

--