Re: [Orgmode] org-babel and emacs init

From: Eric Schulte
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] org-babel and emacs init
Date: Tue, 26 Jan 2010 11:37:40 -0700

Hi Richard,

Richard Riley <address@hidden> writes:

> What approach have you taken to loading multiple files using the
> org-babel method?
>
> The example on the babel page searches out all org files and then
> untangles the elisp snippets and rewrites files with a .el extensions
>
> But how to order  this or how best to load /decode/execute at run time
> in say an autoload or eval after load? Simply call org-babel-load-file
> instead of require?

Currently the only option is `org-babel-load-file'.  Off the top of my
head I don't see why an analogous `org-babel-require' function would not
work, and it seems that it would satisfy this need for conditional

> e.g say I wanted to keep my (typically large) .gnus.el file as an org
> file. How best to deal with that? Currently I have an eval after load
> with all the code in that used to be in my .gnus.el in my
> emacs-init.org. Other approaches?

again, maybe using something like the eventually-to-be-implemented
org-babel-require would work here?

> Would there be a way to get the load system to check for an org file
> first and call org-babel-load-file?

I'm not sure exactly what you mean here.

> Should possibly writing the org file auto create the .el file? Or is
> that best left to load time?

I think this will be more reliable if it is left as a load-time
operation, rather than as a save-hook or something.  Also, since the
file is only re-tangled when the .org file is newer than the .el file it
should not be a noticeable startup performance hit.

Thanks -- Eric