Re: [Orgmode] How to combine the analogue (Moleskine) world with digital

From: Jason Dunsmore
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] How to combine the analogue (Moleskine) world with digital (org-mode) world ?
Date: Wed, 27 Jan 2010 16:54:53 -0600

Torsten Wagner <address@hidden> writes:

> My question is now. What would be the best way to combine the
> moleskine and org-mode ? Does someone have experience  with a paper
> based and digital mixture system?

I used to use similar clunky mixed org and paper systems, but this
thread just inspired me to write the following function which solves the
problem for me.  The function will allow me to non-interactively add a
message to the "Inbox" section of my Org file.

(defun phone-remember (file note)
  (interactive)
  (find-file (concat "~/repo/org/" file ".org"))
  (goto-line 5)
  (org-show-entry)
  (insert (concat "** TODO " note "\n")))

I put the following procmail rule in place to trigger that function from
my cell phone:

:0
* address@hidden
* ^Subject: Todo \/.*
| emacsclient.emacs-snapshot -e "(phone-remember \"todo\" \"${MATCH}\")"

So I just email myself a note from my phone staring with "Todo" and it
gets added to my todo list.

I just tested it out, and it works really well!

I run emacs in daemon mode, but the same could be done with just the
emacs command.  It might fit into others' systems better if org-remember
is somehow called non-interactively.  That way, your org-remember
templates would be available.  Please let me know if someone figures out
how to do this.

Regards,
Jason