[Orgmode] latex enumeration issue

From: Mark Elston
Subject: [Orgmode] latex enumeration issue
Date: Tue, 02 Feb 2010 14:08:42 -0800

A year ago Flavio de Souza asked a question about latex enumerations
that is similar to a problem I now have.  The answer given then was a
workaround that doesn't apply in my case.

This stems from my project of using a single file to maintain source
for generating my class notes *and* student handouts for my classes.
This allows me to take advantage of the common outline and common
text while specifying text that should go into only one or the other
document.

I manage to do this by something like:

* Common heading

  Some common text

** A common subheading

   More common text

***                                  :handouts:
    Something for handouts only

***                                  :both:
    More common text

***                                  :notes:
    My class notes text

***                                  :both:
    More common text

I have a makefile which creates a temporary .org file by
prepending a specific header on this file for each type of
output (handouts or notes), exporting to a latex file, running
a perl script to remove any (sub)+sections with just the
tags in them, and running pdflatex to generate the output.

So far, so good.

However, I ran into a problem with enumerations.  Sometimes I
have enumerations in my original org file which are separated by
the 'empty' sectioning commands.  This ends the enumeration and
the next enumerated item starts a new one.  The result is a set
of enumerations with a single element in it.  I get something
like:

   1.  Blah

   handout-specific text

   1.  More Blah

etc.  These should really have been 1, 2, etc.

The only workaround I have so far is to make all these items lists
instead of enumerations.  This works OK but they would make much more
sense as enumerations.

Is there anything I can do here?

Mark