Re: [Orgmode] org-babel: Why isn't =:results value= working with (my) py

From: Scott May
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] org-babel: Why isn't =:results value= working with (my) python?
Date: Thu, 4 Feb 2010 08:36:32 -0800 (PST)

Great, thanks. Both suggestions worked.

Cheers,
Scott

----- Original Message ----
From: Dan Davison <address@hidden>
To: Thomas S. Dye <address@hidden>
Cc: Scott May <address@hidden>; address@hidden
Sent: Thu, February 4, 2010 11:16:43 AM
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] org-babel: Why isn't =:results value= working with (my)
python?

"Thomas S. Dye" <address@hidden> writes:

> On Feb 4, 2010, at 5:06 AM, Scott May wrote:
>

>     Using org-babel, the following example produces no output for me when I
>     execute using C-c C-c:
>
>     #+begin_src python :results value
>     2 + 2
>     #+end_src
>
>     #+results:
>     : None
>
>     In my messages buffer I see the following:
>
>     : (Shell command succeeded with no output)
>
>     Now the equivalent emacs-lisp example does work:
>
>     #+begin_src emacs-lisp :results value
>     (+ 2 2)
>     #+end_src
>
>     #+results:
>     : 4
>
>     Furthermore,
>
>     #+begin_src python :results output
>     print(2 + 2)
>     #+end_src
>
>     #+results:
>     : 4
>
>     works as expected.
>
>     Am I missing something obvious? Is the problem with my python setup, or
>     perhaps org-babel-python?
>
>     I have tested this on both my Windows and Ubuntu setups. I am using org
>     version 6.34trans.
>
>     Cheers,
>     Scott
>

> Hi Scott,
>
> You need :session.

Or, if you are going to stick with the default non-session evaluation,
you need to include a return statement:

#+begin_src python :results value
return 2 + 2
#+end_src

#+results:
: 4

This is explained in full at

http://orgmode.org/worg/org-contrib/babel/reference.php#header-argument-results

scroll down to the 2-by-2 table and the explanation below it.

Dan