Re: [Orgmode] [babel] unnecessary loading of info files?

From: Dan Davison
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] [babel] unnecessary loading of info files?
Date: Wed, 10 Feb 2010 12:19:08 -0500

Eric S Fraga <address@hidden> writes:

> Hi,
>
> recently (not sure exactly when) I have noticed that, for some reason,
> the python info files are loaded by Emacs when initialising org-babel
> specifically (I think) when loading org-babel-python.  I get messages
> of the form:
>
> ,----
> | uncompressing python2.5-lib.info.gz...done
> `----
>
> On my netbook, this is rather annoying as it slows down the
> initialisation of Emacs significantly.  I don't understand why the
> info files are necessary for org-babel?

Hi Eric,

They aren't, but perhaps they are loaded when we (require 'python)?  If
so then I guess it's out of babel's control; maybe a partial solution
would be to not activate python as a babel langage until necessary
(maybe by adding (require 'org-babel-python) to an appropriate hook?).

On my ubuntu 9.10 netbook I don't seem to have any the python info files
even after installing python2.6-doc. Are you using a debian-based linux
system and if so could you tell me how to install the python info files
so that I can investigate?

Dan