[Orgmode] Re: [org-clock] default clock for non-org-mode buffers

From: Bernt Hansen
Subject: [Orgmode] Re: [org-clock] default clock for non-org-mode buffers
Date: Thu, 18 Feb 2010 12:14:42 -0500

Sébastien Vauban <address@hidden>
writes:

> Hi Bernt,
>
> Bernt Hansen wrote:
>> I have a couple of tasks I clock in regularly from anywhere using f9-o and
>> f9-m (for organization and mail). These clock in the task based on ID.
>>
>> All of my remember buffers start the clock using the remember hooks.  I
>>   - start remember
>>   - clock in via hook
>>   - enter stuff
>>   - C-c C-c
>>   - clock out via hook
>>
>> This remember task is now in the list. I have F11 bound to functions to make
>> clocking in and visiting clocked items easy.
>
> I've just tried your process, and I find it really, really nice.
>
> Though, I have a few questions about it, or about how I can do to make it
> better suit my needs or particularities.
>
> Let me explain.
>
> I clock-in the task "Read Emails and News". I find a nice post, from which I
> wanna keep a copy (it was the case with yours, for example), at least of some
> part of it. I select a region, and call remember with the template:

>             ("Org-mode" ?o
>              "* %^{Title}\n\n  %i\n\n  From the %a"
>              "~/Public/Documentation-on-Org-mode.txt"
>              "Documentation on Org-mode")
>
> (BTW, `.txt' files are Org-mode files in my config)
>
> What is annoying now is that the clock will be stopped for task "Emails and
> News" while I really have not changed of activity. And I don't want to clock
> in anything special for the simple copy I made of a news posting. Here, I
> would expect the started clocked to go on as if nothing happened -- ignoring
> the "clock switching stuff" for that particular remember template.
>
> This is completely different if I am interrupted by the phone (client call) or
> by a mail which requires a long response to a client (and needs to be
> correctly tracked). For these, I will also make use of the remember templates,
> such as:

>             ("Note" ?n

>              "* %U %?\n\n  %i\n  From the %a"
>              nil
>              "Notes")
>
> and I want the standard "Read Emails and News" clock to be temporarily
> stopped, while the call will be tracked appropriately for a client project.
>
> So, is there a way to merge those 2 points of view into one functionality?
>
> Hope my text is clear enough for you all to understand what I mean.

I used to have a special remember hook to only clock in remember
templates with a :CLOCK-IN: marker in the text.  I've since simplified
my use of remember and just clock everything -- I don't have to remember
to clock it - it just happens.

For your case I would just hit F9-SPC (mapped to
bh/clock-in-interrupted-task) to switch the clock back after entering
the remember template and again after saving it (since saving it
switches back to the remember task clock)

ie.
  - clock stuff
  - enter remember mode (clock switches)
  - F9-SPC (switch back)
  - enter your remember details (take as long as you like)
  - C-c C-c (clock switches again, so you need to switch back)
  - F9-SPC (switch back)

The hook could probably be made smart enough not to clock in the newly
saved remember task.

I just ignore that though - I just let it clock my time creating the
remember note - usually that's less than a minute anyway so the clock
drawer ends up empty. (I remove zero clocks)

HTH,
Bernt

PS. I almost missed this mail since it wasn't addressed to me.