Re: [Orgmode] Tables in ASCII export

From: Carsten Dominik
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] Tables in ASCII export
Date: Sat, 20 Feb 2010 20:42:43 +0100

On Feb 19, 2010, at 7:54 PM, Michael Gauland wrote:

carsten.dominik> this behavior is now the default, controlled by the new user option
carsten.dominik> `org-export-ascii-table-widen-columns'.

Thanks. That's a start, but what I really want is to have long cells folded, so that one table row might become several lines in the ASCII export. For example,
if my table looks like this in org:

   | / | <10R> | <20>                 |
   |   |     1 | The quick brown fo=> |
   |   |     2 | Now is the time for  |

I want my ASCII export to look like this:

     1   The quick brown fox
         jumped over the lazy
         dogs.
     2   Now is the time for
         all good me to come
         to the aid of the
         party.

No, this is not possible.

For multi-line fields, please check out table.el, which makes such tables. And Org does export them correctly.

- Carsten

I've started looking at org-table-align to get a feel for how org deals with tables, but I'm still trying to puzzle out where this folding should be done.
Any advice on that?

Thanks,
Mike

- Carsten