Re: [Orgmode] Writing a dissertation using org-mode

From: Torsten Wagner
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] Writing a dissertation using org-mode
Date: Thu, 04 Mar 2010 14:33:33 +0900

Dear Henri,

On 03/04/2010 01:45 PM, Henri-Paul Indiogine wrote:
I started writing my doctoral dissertation in history using org-mode. I
am also using git.el for my version control and gnus for my email. Of
course I export my org file to LaTeX which I compile to pdf.  My
bibliography is managed using BibTeX.

please consider that you might have to follow a very stricy layout style depening on your university, department, lab or supervisor. If your are lucky there will be a LaTeX template somewhere at your university. If you are unlucky there is nothing like that or even worse only a MS-word template.

I'm not sure how good org-mode might be usable in that case. org-mode is really great and I try to use it for many purposes. However, for a thesis I would use directly LaTeX which gives me a bit more control of what is going on.

Furthermore, try biber [1] and biblatex [2]... the somehow next generation of bibtex and bib-file compatible. For me they work very well already despite of the fact that they are still beta-versions. biblatex gives you much more freedom of formatting your citations and bibliography... I guess both highly needed in your scientific field.

Good luck

Torsten

[1] http://biblatex-biber.sourceforge.net/
[2] http://www.ctan.org/tex-archive/help/Catalogue/entries/biblatex.html