Re: [Orgmode] Writing a dissertation using org-mode

From: Scot Becker
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] Writing a dissertation using org-mode
Date: Thu, 4 Mar 2010 09:51:56 +0000

Henri-Paul,

I'm doing the same, with basically the same setup, but using biblatex, and Zotero, but planning to give Mendeley a serious test for PDF management. (And yes there are still problems and repeated manual tweaking associated with using Zotero + bibtex.  The export is just not bibtex-y enough).   It remains to be seen whether I'll wish I had worked in pure LaTeX at the end.  It's true that I have run into occaisional problems with the latex conversion.  Sometimes things like quotes (") and italics next to each other can conflict.  (I haven't done recent tests to see if I still have these problems). But the org-mode community has seemed pretty wiling to help navigate, fix or work around these problems.

Still, I like the outlinability the oversee-ability of keeping all my work in org-mode, as well as the ability to use comments and "inline" TODOs.  (they're not really inline, but they are independant of the outline structure.)  And I figure when the thing is nearing its final form, I'll nix org if I have to and just work in the exportd LaTeX.

My next small project is finding a way to make my thesis.org file keep a standard header outline (where the '** Headlines" hold the text that will eventually head the chapters, sections and subsections), and also an outline of my argument, which won't be printed, but is more useful for the writing process. I've tried a few things but have not settled on anything yet.

Keep well,

Scot