Re: [Orgmode] Writing a dissertation using org-mode

From: Henri-Paul Indiogine
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] Writing a dissertation using org-mode
Date: Thu, 04 Mar 2010 11:12:42 -0600

Torsten Wagner <address@hidden> writes:
> please consider that you might have to follow a very stricy layout
> style depening on your university, department, lab or supervisor. If
> your are lucky there will be a LaTeX template somewhere at your
> university. If you are unlucky there is nothing like that or even
> worse only a MS-word template.

That is true.  My university has a LaTeX template.  However, it is in
the previous version of LaTeX.  I find that inexcusable. They should
update it.  It is not happening.  I think I should make a formal complaint.

> I'm not sure how good org-mode might be usable in that case. org-mode
> is really great and I try to use it for many purposes. However, for a
> thesis I would use directly LaTeX which gives me a bit more control of
> what is going on.

True,  I probably will use org-mode as an intermediary step.  I will use
it to create my drafts and then at the end change to the university
LaTeX template.  That should not be too much work.

> Furthermore, try biber [1] and biblatex [2]... the somehow next
> generation of bibtex and bib-file compatible. For me they work very
> well already despite of the fact that they are still
> beta-versions. biblatex gives you much more freedom of formatting your
> citations and bibliography... I guess both highly needed in your
> scientific field.

Good point, I am just worried about learning too many things (Emacs,
LaTeX, git, org-mode, R, ESS, ...) to take on new technologies. Writing
a dissertation is quite a load already.  But I will into it.

Thanks,

--
Henri-Paul Indiogine
Email: address@hidden