Re: [Orgmode] Re: Writing a dissertation using org-mode

From: Thomas S. Dye
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] Re: Writing a dissertation using org-mode
Date: Thu, 4 Mar 2010 07:33:13 -1000

On Mar 4, 2010, at 4:02 AM, Maurizio Vitale wrote:

I'd recommend you use auctex for writing your thesis: it knows about
many LaTeX packages (and you can teach it more), so you get
autocompletion and highlighting. It does quasi-wysiwyg for fonts and
math. It can render fragments for quick checking and interface with
external viewers. And it has some folding support, albeit not as nice as
org-mode's.

Org-mode would basically give you three things:
 - sectioning/folding
 - todo lists
 - simple tables
Org-mode is wonderful for quickly taking notes and generate LaTeX/pdf
out of them. But for a book/thesis you cannot beat auctex.

Best regards,

    Maurizio

Aloha Henri-Paul,

I think this is good advice for a thesis writer. auctex, with the reftex plug-in, is a huge help.

The model I'm working with now for writing a book (still evolving as I learn org-mode and org-babel and try different things) has 3 parts:

1) The main body of the book, held in several tex files, typically one file per chapter. A master tex file contains the memoir header, the includes, and the glossary, bibliography, and index paraphernalia. I do almost all my writing in these files.

2) An org-mode file with a level one heading for each chapter, underneath which is a place for notes, todo items, random thoughts, and outline fragments. Immediately beneath the level one heading is a link to the chapter tex file. I use the org-mode file to keep track of what I've finished and what still needs work. This is a tremendous help when I have to put the work down for a while and then pick it up again. I'm back up to speed in short order.

3) Several org-babel LaTeX code blocks and noweb references to the output from statistical analyses mostly in R and carried out in org- babel. These are mostly descriptive sections and the benefit of writing them this way is that they track changes in the database as I augment observations or spot data entry errors while writing. These are exported to tex files that are referenced in the master tex file.

4) Compiling my book is a three-step process (ignoring for the moment the bibliography, glossary, and index). First, re-run the statistical analyses in org-babel. Second, run org-babel-tangle on the org-mode file to refresh the output of the org-babel LaTeX code blocks. Lastly compile to pdf with auctex.

I'll be interested to learn how you end up writing your thesis with LaTeX and org-mode.

HTH,
Tom