[Orgmode] Re: icalendar: exporting times of day specified in heading?

From: Stephen Eglen
Subject: [Orgmode] Re: icalendar: exporting times of day specified in heading?
Date: Wed, 17 Mar 2010 13:40:42 +0000

hi Matt,

> When I enter the time of day after typing "i d", the time of day is
> added to the timestamp (as above) but is *not* removed the headline.
> E.g.,
>
> "Day entry: 9:00am go shopping [RET]"
>
> ...results in the following headline...
>
> * 9:00am go shopping
>   <2010-03-17 Wed 09:00>

that's odd; I just tried that and got:

******* go shopping
        <2010-03-17 Wed 09:00>
which then shows in the agenda as:

  agenda:      9:00...... go shopping

> I'd be curious to know whether others can duplicate this bug.
me too!

Do you get any better behaviour if you just put 9:00 or 09:00?  Would be
good to resolve this in case there is a bug lurking elsewhere...

> Might I request an independent variable for this? While I would like the
> agenda to scan my headlines for time of day specifications (and thus
> have org-agenda-search-headline-for-time set to t), I am not sure I want
> org-agenda-add-entry-to-org-agenda-diary-file to alter the information I
> enter at the "Day entry: " prompt.

Certainly I'd be in agreement with that, as I don't want to jump on
others preferences.

Currently, org-agenda.el has (l 7079)

        (if org-agenda-search-headline-for-time

to check whether we should extract the time; how about if I replaced it
with a variable called org-agenda-extract-time-from-entry which defaults
to nil so this behaviour is normally off?

Sorry about this Matt.

Stephen