Re: [Orgmode] LaTeX export > Avoid \newline command after timestampsX-Dr

From: Carsten Dominik
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] LaTeX export > Avoid \newline command after timestampsX-Draft-From: ("nnimap+mc:INBOX.sncb")
Date: Fri, 19 Mar 2010 18:20:20 +0100

On Mar 18, 2010, at 2:54 PM, Francesco Pizzolante wrote:

Hi David,

David Maus wrote:
Took me a while to realize the problem with current implementation: If
you already have a blank line between scheduled/deadline line and the
content the newline forces extra spacing between scheduled/deadline
and the following paragraph.

I'm sorry if I wasn't clear enough.

This cleary /is/ problem.  Maybe we should catch these two cases
(patch attached):

,----
| (unless (and (looking-at ".*\n[ \t]*\n") (looking-at ".*\\\ \newline[ \t]*$"))
`----

Insert \newline only if there is no paragraph separator.  As far as I
can see the LaTeX code is already rendered when
`org-export-latex-keywords' is called so this should work out.

I tried your patch, but I still get extra \newline commands in the generated
LaTeX.

Let's go back to examples, I think it will be easier to understand my problem.

1) Heading with no text

** STARTED  First
  SCHEDULED: <2010-03-01 Mon> DEADLINE: <2010-03-19 Fri>

Gives the following:

\subsection{\textbf{STARTED} First}
\label{sec-1.1}

\texttt{SCHEDULED:} \textit{2010-03-01 Mon} \texttt{DEADLINE:} \textit{2010-03-19 Fri}\newline

Which gives me an extra vertical space between this heading and the next one.

While I would expect this (with or without the extra blank line in this case,
as there's no text after):

\subsection{\textbf{STARTED} First}
\label{sec-1.1}

\texttt{SCHEDULED:} \textit{2010-03-01 Mon} \texttt{DEADLINE:} \textit{2010-03-19 Fri}

2) Heading with text and no blank line between heading and text

** STARTED  Second
  SCHEDULED: <2010-03-01 Mon> DEADLINE: <2010-03-19 Fri>
  This task is split among all services and communication between the
  entities.

This gives the following:

\subsection{\textbf{STARTED} Second}
\label{sec-1.2}

\texttt{SCHEDULED:} \textit{2010-03-01 Mon} \texttt{DEADLINE:} \textit{2010-03-19 Fri}\newline\newline
  This task is split among all services and communication between the
  entities.

I also get an extra vertical space between the timestamps and the text which
is on a new paragraph.

Instead, I was expecting this:

\subsection{\textbf{STARTED} Second}
\label{sec-1.2}

\texttt{SCHEDULED:} \textit{2010-03-01 Mon} \texttt{DEADLINE:} \textit{2010-03-19 Fri}

  This task is split among all services and communication between the
  entities.

3) Heading with text and blank line between heading and text

** DONE Third
  DEADLINE: <2010-03-26 Fri>

  This task is split among all services and communication between the
  entities.
  Second paragraph.

  fdqsfdq

This gives the following:

\subsection{\textbf{DONE} Third}
\label{sec-1.3}

  \texttt{DEADLINE:} \textit{2010-03-26 Fri}\newline

  This task is split among all services and communication between the
  entities.
  Second paragraph.

  fdqsfdq

In this case, again, I get an extra vertical space between the timestamps and
the text which is also in a new paragraph.

Instead, I would simply expect this:

\subsection{\textbf{DONE} Third}
\label{sec-1.3}

  \texttt{DEADLINE:} \textit{2010-03-26 Fri}

  This task is split among all services and communication between the
  entities.
  Second paragraph.

  fdqsfdq

As you can see from these 3 examples, it is safer to always generate blank
lines only instead of \newline commands.

Sorry for the length of this message.

On the contrary, thank you for this long message. This is exactly what nails
the discussion and shows the problems.

I agree with what I think is the conclusion of this discussion: No \newline,
only an empty line to star a new paragraph, in all three example cases.

I have made this change now, thank you both.

- Carsten