Re: [Orgmode] Exporting non utf8 org documents

From: Carsten Dominik
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] Exporting non utf8 org documents
Date: Tue, 23 Mar 2010 09:06:55 +0100

On Mar 22, 2010, at 3:20 PM, Francesco Pizzolante wrote:

Hi Carsten,

I'm sorry for my very very late reply on this topic, but I'm just observing
problem with this.

you can remove the code I sent you again, and instead grab the latest git
release.

Then you can also do

(setq org-export-latex-inputenc-alist '(("utf8" . "utf8x")))

to get utf8x instead of utf8.

I still get the utf8 encoding even if, as you said, I set this:

(setq org-export-latex-inputenc-alist '(("utf8" . "utf8x")))

So, we get the following code:

(defun org-export-latex-fix-inputenc ()
 "Set the codingsystem in inputenc to what the buffer is."
 (let* ((cs buffer-file-coding-system)
         (opt (or (ignore-errors (latexenc-coding-system-to-inputenc cs))
                  "utf8")))
   (when opt
     ;; Translate if that is requested
(setq opt (or (cdr (assoc opt org-export-latex-inputenc-alist)) opt))
     ;; find the \usepackage statement and replace the option
     (goto-char (point-min))
(while (re-search-forward "\\\\usepackage\\[\\(AUTO\\)\\] {inputenc}"
                                nil t)
        (goto-char (match-beginning 1))
        (delete-region (match-beginning 1) (match-end 1))
        (insert opt))
     (and buffer-file-name
           (save-buffer)))))

If I print the opt variable (message opt), I can see that its value is
correctly set to utf8x.

But, the re-search-forward command always fails. In effect, if I change the
last argument from t to nil, I get the following error:

while: Search failed: "\\\\usepackage\\[\\(AUTO\\)\\]{inputenc}"

I'm using an almost empty Org buffer with no option at all, so it generates a
simple article document class.

I would like to give you more input, but I don't know how to better debug
this. If you have any idea, please let me know.

Hi Francesco,

Maybe you have customized org-export-latex-classes? Unfortunately, this will
make the changes I make in the default value of the variable disappear.
So you need to do one of two things:

- remove your customizations of that variable

or

- edit your value so that in all entries it says

     \usepackage[AUTO]{inputenc}

  instead of a fixed [utf8] or whatever you have there.

HTH

- Carsten

Thanks a lot,
Francesco