[Orgmode] Re: org-mode tutorial questionaire

From: Alexander Poslavsky
Subject: [Orgmode] Re: org-mode tutorial questionaire
Date: Tue, 23 Mar 2010 21:04:43 +0100

On Mar 23, 2010, at 8:42 PM, Matt Lundin wrote:

> Hi Alex,
>
> Alexander Poslavsky <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> There is a new tutorial on worg: http://orgmode.org/worg/org-tutorials/
>> org4beginners.php. The idea is to write a tutorial for somebody who is
>> new to org-mode.
>> For everybody:
>> -What kind of tutorial would be the most useful?
>> -What in your experience people find confusing?
>
> Thanks for taking the time to put this on Worg. I wish I had had such a
> concise summary of the various flavors of emacs on different platforms
> when I started exploring org-mode.
>
> I was wondering if you could elaborate on the following. Are you
> suggesting that new users should never use M-x customize?
Well, I don't know about anybody else, but I *never* use it. I think it is
awful. But then, what do I know….

> ,----
> | The biggest pain, when you just begin with Emacs, is the configuration.
> | There is not really a menu for it (you might later hear there is, but
> | they are lying, that menu is really there to trap innocent people), you
> | need to edit a text-file.
> `----
>
> A few comments:
>
> 1. Some of the "step-by-step" instructions might be a bit easier to
>   follow in list format (rather than paragraphs).
Hmm, I see your point, but having a tutorial that is just a bunch of lists
looks really ugly. Off course if people don't understand it, it's not good
either. Let's see if more complaints follow on this.

> 2. If I were reading the tutorial for the first time, I might conclude
>   that I had to place "#-*- mode: org -*-" at the top of all my org
>   files, even after configuring auto-mode-alist.
fixed, added a note about that.

> 3. Why C-x b 2.org --> M-x org-mode --> C-x C-s as the recommended
>   workflow? Once the configuration file is set up, C-x C-f 2.org will
>   bring one right into org-mode.
As far as I can see, that is actually what the doc says:

   Save the file (*C-x s*) as 2.org, and you will notice that the
   colors change, syntax highlighting is turned on, and Emacs
   understands you are working in org-mode.

but if it is not clear, let me know what paragraph you are refering to.

> Thanks again for all the work you've put into this.
>
> Best,
> Matt

and thank you for your remarks!

alex