Re: [Orgmode] Basic orgmode tutorial

From: Dan Davison
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] Basic orgmode tutorial
Date: Wed, 24 Mar 2010 15:07:46 -0400

Russell Adams <address@hidden> writes:

> Carsten,
>
> I discussed this with a few users off an on.
>
> In the manual there are items required to setup org, keybindings, etc.
>
> The idea would be to include:
>
>  - An Agenda file, which loads by default
>  - Init file which
>    - Preconfigured keybindings
>    - Remember keybinding for basic todo to agenda file
>    - Configured auto-mode-alist
>    - Recommended Global key maps

I think this sort of approach, perhaps as part of an org-mode emacs
distribution, sounds like a very good idea.

> They are all basic items to an experienced emacs user, but a new user
> doesn't understand why they have to go edit the config file and make
> changes. Their emphasis is on they want to run "Org-mode", not "Emacs
> with Org-mode".

Yes, exactly. I want to counter some of the recent pessimism on this
topic. Org-mode is very attractive to people in its own right, and as it
happens it is implemented in emacs. I know one person who has used
org-mode constantly for a couple of years now, purely for the agenda and
todo lists, without ever aquiring any ability or interest in using emacs
per se. She knows the keys to change TODO states, set timestamps and
call up the agenda and that was all that was needed. Although only
scraping the surface of what org-mode can do, the fact that someone who
otherwise only uses MS Word and firefox is still using org-mode after
two years says something *extremely* positive about org-mode.

So I don't think it is true that org-mode is hard to learn, *once* it is
configured. And I don't think it's true that org-mode users have to know
anything about emacs. Certainly I don't think org-mode newbies should go
anywhere near the emacs tutorial (I don't use any of those navigation
commands, what on Earth's wrong with up, down, left, right, page down
etc?[3])

That also brings up the question of org-CUA-compatible -- would that be
set in this putative newbie org configuration?

Regarding the idea of an org-specific emacs distribution, the Emacs
Speaks Statistics (ESS) project is in a similar situation in that many
of its new users come to it not having used emacs previously. On their
download page[1], they link to an easy-to-set-up Emacs installation for
Windows and OS X maintained by Vincent Goulet[2] which is kept
up-to-date with the current version of ESS.

So what I am saying is that org-mode is sufficiently attractive that we
should expect non-emacs users to be attracted to it, and that we should
be optimistic about the ability of such people to start using
org-mode. And that yes, we need to work on the configuration for them.

Dan

Footnotes:

[1] http://ess.r-project.org/index.php?Section=download

[2] http://vgoulet.act.ulaval.ca/en/ressources/emacs/

[3] Maybe it makes more sense if you can touch type, something which is
common among college-educated people in the USA but not in the UK.