[Orgmode] Todo state for [un]ordered list items?

From: John Hendy
Subject: [Orgmode] Todo state for [un]ordered list items?
Date: Sat, 27 Mar 2010 13:41:05 -0600

When I take notes at work, I tend to like to minimize my headlines and use list items instead. Part of this is simply due to how things look when exported. To use headlines for everything looks peculiar to me, at least under the default settings anyway. So... my typical work org-file is like so:

* Projects
** Project 1
*** History/Overview
*** Journals
**** <2010-03-27 Sat>
***** Main thing I did 1
- did stuff
- did some more stuff
  - some sub stuff
** Project 2
* Talks/Courses
* Ideas

Most likely I'll have one heading under the timestemp shown for each activity for that project that day and the rest will be hyphen lists. My problem is that I can't make any of the unordered list items todos -- it just makes the headline a todo. I'm already at 5 headlines deep and really don't want to make headlines just for a todo that has it's place in my bulleted notes.

My questions are:
- Does anyone else find the idea of an unordered todo helpful, but one that's not part of a headline?
- If so, how could it be implemented?
- If not, I'm absolutely game to hear alternative work flows and how others manage without this feature at present!
--- So far, I've just been making the headline a TODO and then putting in a [/] at the top; unordered list items that are todos also have a [ ] which is tracked by the top level todo.
- Bonus: if this is the best (headline = todo and unordered lists are check boxes), how can I implement a shortcut to toggle the 'todo checkbox' state for unordered list items? It would be awesome to have a C-c C-t equivalent for sub-items such that they were given a checkbox!

Many thanks,
John