[Orgmode] Re: Todo state for [un]ordered list items?

From: Memnon Anon
Subject: [Orgmode] Re: Todo state for [un]ordered list items?
Date: Sat, 27 Mar 2010 20:15:19 +0000 (UTC)

John Hendy <address@hidden> writes:

> * Projects
> ** Project 1
> *** History/Overview
> *** Journals
> **** <2010-03-27 Sat>
> ***** Main thing I did 1
> - did stuff
> - did some more stuff
>   - some sub stuff
> ** Project 2
> * Talks/Courses
> * Ideas
>
> Most likely I'll have one heading under the timestemp shown for each
> activity for that project that day and the rest will be hyphen lists.
> My problem is that I can't make any of the unordered list items todos
> -- it just makes the headline a todo. I'm already at 5 headlines deep
> and really don't want to make headlines just for a todo that has it's
> place in my bulleted notes.

First, I would suggest a different organisation. You are 5 headlines
deep, because you chose this kind of setup, but with some tweaking, you
could avoid this:
      a) Give each Project an own file.
      b) Don't give dates a headline.
So, you would have a file like this:

* Project 1
** History/Overview
** Journals
*** DONE Main thing I did 1
<2010-03-27 Sat>
*** TODO Stuff 2
*** TODO Stuff 3

If you want to review what you did on a specific day, use the agenda for
this. For "substuff", if it is really not worth a separate task, there
are lists.

> - If not, I'm absolutely game to hear alternative work flows and how
> others manage without this feature at present!
> --- So far, I've just been making the headline a TODO and then putting
> in a [/] at the top; unordered list items that are todos also have a [
> ] which is tracked by the top level todo. - Bonus: if this is the best
> (headline = todo and unordered lists are check boxes), how can I
> implement a shortcut to toggle the 'todo checkbox' state for unordered
> list items? It would be awesome to have a C-c C-t equivalent for
> sub-items such that they were given a checkbox!

I do not understand, did you miss this:
,----[ (info "(org)The very busy C-c C-c key") ]
|    - If the cursor is in a plain list item with a checkbox, toggle the
|      status of the checkbox.
`----

To make a checkbox without typing "[ ]", use C-c C-x C-b:
,----[ (info "(org)Checkboxes") ]
| `C-c C-x C-b'
|      Toggle checkbox status or (with prefix arg) checkbox presence at
|      point.  With double prefix argument, set it to `[-]', which is
|      considered to be an intermediate state.
|         - If there is an active region, toggle the first checkbox in
|           the region and set all remaining boxes to the same status as
|           the first.  With a prefix arg, add or remove the checkbox for
|           all items in the region.
|
|         - If the cursor is in a headline, toggle checkboxes in the
|           region between this headline and the next (so _not_ the
|           entire subtree).
|
|         - If there is no active region, just toggle the checkbox at
|           point.
`----

If you need this very often, you may want to bind this to an easier
keycombo.

Did this help so far?

memnon