Re: [Orgmode] Spreadsheet FR

From: Carsten Dominik
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] Spreadsheet FR
Date: Sun, 4 Apr 2010 09:01:30 +0200

On Apr 2, 2010, at 10:16 AM, Russell Adams wrote:

On Fri, Apr 02, 2010 at 09:49:46AM +0200, Carsten Dominik wrote:

Would it be feasible to "narrow" a table by criteria on a specific
field in between separators? Ie: only display those cells in field A
if they are > 2, or if field B matches "Pick Me!".

This one might be possible - but dangerous for losing data.

Ideally we're just narrowing away lines, collapsing a table like org
collapses headlines.

Why would that be more likely to cause data loss?

Because there would be ellipsis in unfamiliar places and the danger to accidentally modify invisible text would be higer.

A nice feature would be updating the totals at the bottom with only
the visible data.

I don't think Excel works like this, does it?

Absolutely. Excel 2003 and up support "lists" or in 2007 "tables",
where you can do filter and summary work. I use it all the time for
customer planning because its the closest thing to grep/awk for Windows.

OK, I did not know this.

I think the real trick here is making the formulas ignore narrowed content.

If you'd like I can send you a sample.

Please do - but that does not mean that I am going to implement this. This would be tricky.

- Carsten