Re: [Orgmode] footnote bugs

From: Carsten Dominik
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] footnote bugs
Date: Wed, 14 Apr 2010 16:48:13 +0200

Hi Samuel,

On Apr 7, 2010, at 4:39 AM, Samuel Wales wrote:

(setf org-footnote-auto-label 'confirm)
(setf org-footnote-section nil)

* top
*** an article
sadfkaj sdnfklaj nsfklandsf
asd flkajnd sfa
*** an article. exporting this to ascii does not export anonymous footnotes
I sometimes[fn:3] mix regular[fn:1] footnotes and inline
[fn:: There are issues here.  For example, I have to type
them in manually.  You cannot leave empty; it won't accept
it.  Maybe it has to do with my ido setup.  Exporting this
to ASCII seems to silent fail.  I tried "fn:: text" and
"fn::text".] ones[fn:2].

ASCII export of anonymous footnotes works fine for me. here is an example for your text above:

The following text

     Some text[fn::text] with note

is exported like this:

     Some text[1] with note

     [1] text

Also, when inserting a footnote, I can eave the label empty - the
fact that this is not working for you must mean that you have some
completion setup that takes over the generic function
`completing-read'.

===

[fn:1] ordinary.  note that if you put point here and do c-c
c-c, you will get sent to the next article, which is
disconcerting.  i expected it to go up to the thing that
points to it.  this situation, where you have duplicate
footnote numbers in the same file, but different org
entries, is very common when you refile an article.
\par
don't know how to separate paragraphs in a footnote in
a way that fill-paragraph with filladapt will understand.
would be nice if a way were possible, imo.

I guess you can hack the paragraph... regexps to make \par
a separator.

[fn:2] another

[fn:3] a third
# a comment
*** another article
ordinary [fn:1], inline[fn:This is a test.], and
regular[fn:2] footnotes.

It is very difficult for org to find footnotes if there
are several definitions in a buffer for the same footnote label.
But I can follow you argument, so the definition is now search up
in the buffer, before looking down.

===

[fn:1] regular

[fn:2] usual