Re: [Orgmode] Using Org for browsing and managing buffers

From: Dan Davison
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] Using Org for browsing and managing buffers
Date: Mon, 19 Apr 2010 09:18:41 -0400

> On this topic, one suggestion (which might be difficult to implement,
> however): the best thing is about org is the hierarchical nature of
> headlines.  This would seem to map well to the hierarchical nature of
> modes.  For instance, org mode is also a text mode.  Would it make
> sense to have all text mode buffers grouped with sub-modes (for want
> of a better word) as subheadings?  On the other hand, I'm not sure
> what this would add so probably ignore this... :-)

Other groupings might be good too. E.g. the comint process buffer for a
language grouped with the code files; all magit buffers in a magit tree;
all gnus buffers (summary, group, article) in a gnus tree. It seems that
the best thing might be to have a flexible way of specifying the tree
structure. E.g some way to specify "projects" for which all buffers
should be grouped together. Not sure how to implement that though.

I've also been wondering about adding recentf files (buffers you might
want, in addition to buffers you have). Then it might make sense to
present them in a hierarchy based on the filesystem location. That's
also true when grouping buffers by their directory (B def RET).

So making it work with > 2 levels of hierarchy is definitely something
worth thinking about, especially if someone has a good idea how to
specify the desired tree structure a priori.

A year or two ago someone posted code to preserve folding state of an
org buffer using an auxiliary file. Don't think it's in contrib. But I
might try to dig that out also. Anyone know where it is?

>> > I ask because I
>> >   don't understand what functionality it adds and the default binding
>> >   (h) conflicts with my speed keys (I use vi-like bindings for speed
>> >   motion keys).
>>
>> I overlooked that before. I've moved it to H.
>
> Doesn't seem to work for me (pulled from git this morning, 8am BST):

Fixed, thanks!

Dan