Re: [Orgmode] org-mode CSS property export bug

From: Rick Moynihan
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] org-mode CSS property export bug
Date: Fri, 23 Apr 2010 11:01:05 +0100

On 23 April 2010 07:30, Carsten Dominik <address@hidden> wrote:

> We could change . to _ , but that would break old links, so I am hesitating.
> But of course if this really violates standards, we can change it.
>
> Sebastian has the last word on these issues.

Unfortunately it seems that underscores, though no-longer invalid are
not without their problems either, at least according to Eric Meyer
(author of a number of CSS books):

http://devedge-temp.mozilla.org/viewsource/2001/css-underscores/

Though this page is old, and the browsers listed are largely
deprecated... I don't know what modern browser support is like for
underscores... I'm guessing it's pretty good and the point is largely
moot.

As far as I can see there are three options.

1) Use underscores (against the above advice) (practically probably
not a huge issue) e.g. outline-container-1_1
2) Overload the use of hyphens to be for both spaces and .'s...  e.g
outline-container-1-1
3) Stop using hyphens for spaces and switch to camel case convention,
freeing hyphens to be substitutes for .'s e.g. outlineContainer1-1.
This option seems like the best design, though it completely blows
backwards compatability away so is probably a non-starter.  Leaving us
with 1) or 2).

Personally I think *if* underscores aren't a problem for modern
browsers, ie8, firefox 3.5+, recent opera's safari and chrome we use
them.

R.