Re: [Orgmode] Re: Limited #+INCLUDE ?

From: Dan Davison
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] Re: Limited #+INCLUDE ?
Date: Tue, 27 Apr 2010 13:26:20 -0400

"Eric Schulte" <address@hidden> writes:

> Darlan Cavalcante Moreira <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> This functionality would be really useful. Since it is more directly
>> applicable for programming, then maybe an easier approach to implement it
>> would be just a link to a function in a file. For instance
>>
>> [[file_def:/path/to/file::definition_name][linkname]]
>>
>> Org could rely on the capability of the target major-mode to select the
>> region enclosing the function (c-mark-function for C/C++,
>> py-mark-def-or-class for python, mark-defun for lisp, etc.). This would
>> avoid the necessity of including commenting marks in the code and although
>> it would be limited to a "function body at a time" it would be enough in
>> many situations.
>>

> Following in this "major mode specific behavior" direction, maybe it
> would be possible to make use of the tags functionality for linking to
> specific functions, chapters, etc... based on the mode of the target
> file.

This sounds like an interesting idea; I have been meaning to use tags
more. However, I wouldn't want to exclude the possibility of using this
functionality in a non-programming context -- i.e. collaborative editing
of arbitrary text documents -- which would argue for approaches based on
storing arbitrary text context using Emacs bookmarks or custom text
searches. Perhaps the new functionality could involve a choice of more
than one new Org link type?

Dan