[Orgmode] Re: Final Question: Usage

From: Bernt Hansen
Subject: [Orgmode] Re: Final Question: Usage
Date: Wed, 28 Apr 2010 17:31:30 -0400

David Frascone <address@hidden> writes:

> I'm still using a monolithic file to inplement my DGTD (Dave's GTD).
> I'm not as anal as TOD (The other Dave, Dave Allen), and I don't run a
> strict inbox.
>
> What I do want is:
> 1)  a place to keep track of live projects, bugs, conversations, etc.
> 2) A place for notes
> 3) A place to track TODO's
> 4) A way to archive off done stuff.
>
> So far, orgmode does the above with ease.  But, I am starting to run
> into walls.

> doesn't know about it till I add it.  Should I be using agenda mode to
> track todos?  (This goes with my calendar questions a bit in the other
> mail).  If I do use agenda mode, how do I add multiple files?
>
> How do I work with multiple files?  Is there an easy way to jump back
> and forth from them, if I start making one file for Bugs, one for
> Escalations, one for projects, one for notes, etc?
>
> Finally -- and this is my biggest stumbling block:  Status reporting
> I'm looking for some way to generate a status report of what I've been
> working on.  So, this report should contain anything that has been
> modified in the last week.  (I drop date stamps a lot).  Also, the
> report should include extra flagged items, even if they did not get
> work.  (i.e. Background tasks that are starving should be noted --
> but, since not all tasks / entries are background tasks, I'd make some
> custom tag, like, "reportme" that should be reported, regardless)
>
> I'm trying to generate a status view like that, export to HTML, and
> e-mail it to my pointy haired boss . . . . any way to do that?

The agenda is your friend.  You can have multiple files in the agenda
all contributing to views of your todo lists in agenda views.

C-c [ adds the current file to org-agenda-files so just visit multiple
files you want in your agenda and C-c [ once in each.

Now C-c a t will show all todos in all your files.  C-c a a shows a
calendar view (day/week).

I navigate to things only from the agenda.

You'll want log view in the agenda or something similar for status
reporting.  You can export agenda views but I've never done it :)

HTH,
Bernt