Re: [Orgmode] Is this the best place for noob questions too?

From: Jan Böcker
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] Is this the best place for noob questions too?
Date: Thu, 29 Apr 2010 10:46:33 +0200

On 28.04.2010 09:27, Ian Barton wrote:
> Quite often when browsing the list I
> find posts that give me ideas of a new way of doing something, or
> introduce me to some feature I wasn't aware of.

Same here, that's one of the reasons I read this list.

I guess most of us on this list are still a noob regarding some aspects
of Org, simply because they have never needed and used them.

I do not remember a single instance of a literal "RTFM" response on this
list. If you do ask a question that is answered in the documentation
somewhere, you tend to get a friendly pointer in the right direction.

Besides the Org Manual (which I recommend you to skim from cover to
cover to get a general idea of what features are available), the mailing
list archives, worg, and google, there is also C-h v (describe-variable).

A lot of settings cannot be found in the manual, but are described in
detail in the docstrings of their variables.

Press "C-h v org- <TAB>" to get a list of all Org related variables,
then switch to the completion window with "C-x o" and use isearch (C-s)
to search for a keyword.

For example, if I want to change some aspect of the agenda, I might type
"C-h v org-agenda- <TAB>" to get a list of all agenda related settings.
(I think I found org-agenda-remove-times-when-in-prefix that way.)

Best regards,
Jan