Re: [Orgmode] Specify page number in hyperlink [to pdf]

From: Nick Dokos
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] Specify page number in hyperlink [to pdf]
Date: Fri, 30 Apr 2010 12:03:14 -0400

Joe Riel <address@hidden> wrote:

> That is fine, though I'll apply the patch.  There does appear to
> be another bug, or my misunderstanding.  That is, even
> without the link,
>
>  [[file:/home/joe/sample.pdf]]
>
> does not work properly.  That is, clicking on it (mouse 1)
> opens the pdf inside emacs rather than in a standalone pdf reader.
> Previously
> that wasn't the case (if memory serves).  Using
>
>  [[file:/home/joe/sample.pdf::1]]
>
> for the link opens it in a standalone reader.

Probably because you have an explicit setting for the latter in
org-file-apps (as Jan suggested) but not for the former. There are many
twisty passages here, but I think that in the end emacs looks at your
mailcap: if it finds no match there then it opens it itself.

I have

application/pdf; xpdf -q %s

in my ~/.mailcap and indeed the link opens in xpdf.

HTH,
Nick