Re: [Orgmode] shell: link output

From: Thomas S. Dye
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] shell: link output
Date: Sun, 2 May 2010 13:54:36 -1000

On May 2, 2010, at 1:14 PM, Dan Davison wrote:

"Thomas S. Dye" <address@hidden> writes:

Aloha all,

A link like this in my Org-mode buffer:

[[shell:$PATH]]

sends output to a buffer called *Shell Command Output*, which on my
system, at least, remains buried. I'd like to display the buffer when
the user clicks the link, ideally in another window of the same
frame.  How can I do this?

Hi Tom,

It displays the output in the minibuffer, right? I'm not sure there's a
very easy solution. Documented behaviour of `shell-command' is that

,----
| The output appears in the buffer `*Shell Command Output*'.  If the
| output is short enough to display in the echo area (which is determined | by the variables `resize-mini-windows' and `max-mini-window- height'), it
| is shown there, but it is nonetheless available in buffer `*Shell
| Command Output*' even though that buffer is not automatically displayed.
`----

so it seems rather hard-wired to me (i.e. you'd have to write your own
function or use defadvice).

I think you meant [[shell:echo $PATH]], so that the output is on stdout
not stderr, but I don't think that alters conclusions.

Dan

Thanks for the help Dan.  That's what I needed to know.

All the best,
Tom