[Orgmode] Re: Time Stamps?

From: Bernt Hansen
Subject: [Orgmode] Re: Time Stamps?
Date: Mon, 03 May 2010 15:00:19 -0400

Hi David,

Answers are inline.

David Frascone <address@hidden> writes:

> I've been using a lot of the great info at this site
> (http://doc.norang.ca/org-mode.html) , and I have some questions:
>
> When using timestamps, I like the time in there too.  And, I like to
> stamp every entry, so my status looks nice.  But, I'm having a couple
> of problems:
>
>  1. Can I make all timestamps put the time?  In other words, can I
>  make C-c ! always do the same thing as C-u C-c !

I use a key binding for this:  f9-t which creates a timestamp like this
at point.  [2010-05-03 Mon 14:52]  The binding for that is documented at
http://doc.norang.ca/org-mode.html#sec-15_21

>  2. Where should I put the timestamp?  Where do you guys think it
>  looks best?  Before the text?  After?  Still getting a feel for
>  things.

Anywhere in the body of the text works fine for me.  My remember
templates put the timestamp after the clock drawer

  * TODO blah
  :CLOCK:...
  [2010-05-03 Mon 14:59]
  [[link to stuff]]

but anywhere will work - it's just text.

>  3. Clocking.  That site does a lot of it, and I mostly like it.  But,
>     I'm not sure how I should clock in in the AM.  Almost always, I
>     try to enter something quickly with remember, and I haven't
>     started a clock yet.  I'm considering taking out the timing stuff
>     now . . . any pointers?

The first thing I do when I clock-in in the morning is hit either f9-o
or f9-m to clock in my organization or read mail task (depending on
which one I start first).  From there remember tasks interrupt the clock
temporarily and clocking continues on whatever I work on until I
manually clock out.

HTH,
Bernt