Re: [Orgmode] [babel] Future of Org-babel?

From: Eric Schulte
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] [babel] Future of Org-babel?
Date: Thu, 06 May 2010 08:59:01 -0600

Hi Nathan,

Nathan Neff <address@hidden> writes:

> Guys,
>
> Is there a project/TODO/Wish list for Org-babel?

Yes, see the babel development page [1] where we keep all pending TODOs
and BUGs for Org-babel.  It may be easier to view the underlying
Org-mode file -- development.org our development repository [2].

> I'd like to give a presentation on Org-babel at the Strange Loop
> conference in St. Louis
> in October.
>
> http://strangeloop2010.com/
>
> The Strange Loop conference attracted a lot of very smart people that
> I think would be interested in contributing to Org-babel, particularly
> because it's a young project.

That's great, the more the merrier.

> There's plenty more languages that Org-babel could support, so that's
> one area that I could mention needs help.

Certainly true.

> But, I'd like to point out some of the advanced/aim-for-the-sky ideas
> that you guys have for Org-babel -- that would really spark some
> interest in the crowd.
>
> What would you say are the most aggressive / cool features that you're
> considering for Org-babel?

The first things that come to mind would be allowing for processing of
Org-babel files from outside of Emacs.  It would be nice to provide
external commands which would allow for the tangling and/or execution of
code from Org-babel files.  I think this could ease the collaboration of
babel and non-babel users.  This has recently come up in relation to
Org-mode export in the form of external tools which approximate Org-mode
export allowing these processes to take place without 'Emacs --batch'
commands.  It would be a big task, but maybe Org-mode and Org-babel
could think about externalizing some of their exportation tasks.

This would be helped by the possible (hopeful) conversion of Emacs to
run on the Guile VM in the next year or two [3].

I'd love to hear more ideas from Org-babel users on this list, as you've
proven to be the most adept at driving Org-babel development.

Thanks for bringing this up -- Eric