Re: [Orgmode] org mode as tabbed notebook

From: Thomas S. Dye
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] org mode as tabbed notebook
Date: Fri, 7 May 2010 04:58:28 -1000

On May 6, 2010, at 8:40 PM, katepano wrote:

Hello All,
I was wondering if somebody managed to use orgmode as atabbed notebook, like gjots, or the old keynotes program from windows which I miss a lot or even Ms one note. I tried using tabbed.el or speedbar, or the sitemap of orgmode but it was not satisfactory. Any way how you manage to have a lot of files open simultaneously, with the buffer list?

Any ideas are wellcome!

Aloha katepano,

I'm not familiar with other programs you mention, so I might be misinterpreting your larger question.  On the narrower question about having a lot of files open and creating a view into the open files, Org-mode uses something it calls the Agenda.  The Agenda is extremely flexible, so you can create pretty much anything you want with it.  I'm guessing that, with a bit of study and experimenting, the Agenda can approximate a tabbed notebook.

There is a good Agenda tutorial here:
http://orgmode.org/worg/org-tutorials/org-custom-agenda-commands.php

HTH,
Tom