[Orgmode] Re: Poll: Who is using these commands

From: Dan Davison
Subject: [Orgmode] Re: Poll: Who is using these commands
Date: Sun, 09 May 2010 14:59:50 -0400

Nick Dokos <address@hidden> writes:

> Leo <address@hidden> wrote:
>
>> On 2010-05-09 12:43 +0100, Carsten Dominik wrote:
>> > what do you think about C-M-f, C-M-b, C-M-n, C-M-p as alternative
>> > bindings? These seem to make *a lot* of sense, because, as many here
>> > have pointed out, they are so much better repeatable (Keep C-M- down,
>> > press the character.)
>>
>> It is terrible idea to override these parenthesis movement bindings.
>> They are universal in all editing modes that if overridden people who
>> also use other emacs packages will be surprised. For example to move
>> from a open parenthesis to a closing parenthesis.
>>

> I disagree: they are not parenthesis movement bindings - they are
> structure-navigation bindings. For example, C-M-f is forward-sexp.
> In lisp, an sexp has some relationship to parentheses, but it is
> incidental; in other programming modes, an sexp is whatever makes
> sense in that language and these commands are redefined appropriately.
>
> I think it is entirely appropriate to use these bindings to navigate
> structure in org-mode as well.

I basically agree. However, the proposed mapping between SEXP movement
commands in programming modes and in org-mode seems rather loose:

Presumably the intended mapping is

C-c C-n <--> C-M-n   "n command"
C-c C-f <--> C-M-f   "f command"

That suggests that the n command in Org-mode should skip over the next
subtree, like forward-list; however, it advances over a body to the
start of the next subtree.

In fact, isn't there an argument that the Org bindings are the wrong way
round?  If we define in Org-mode:

- atom :: the body of a heading
- SEXP :: an atom, or a subtree

then the n command in Org-mode currently behaves a bit like forward-sexp
(C-M-f) , whereas the f command in Org-mode behaves a bit like
forward-list (C-M-n).

Dan