[Orgmode] Re: Links break when you archive; what are work arounds?

From: Bernt Hansen
Subject: [Orgmode] Re: Links break when you archive; what are work arounds?
Date: Thu, 13 May 2010 10:14:28 -0400

"Emin.shopper Martinian.shopper" <address@hidden> writes:

> Dear Experts,
>
> I really like org-mode and am starting to use it more and more to
> track my notes, todos, agenda, etc. One thing I am confused about is
> that when I make a link to FOO and then archive FOO, the link no
> longer works. I guess I was hoping that org-mode would be smart enough
> to adjust links or look in the archive file but maybe that is too
> complicated.
>
> Is there a suggested work-around to preserve links when you archive
> something? Alternatively, maybe I'm not using archive properly. My
> general mode of operation is to have a file with my master to do list
> and another file for my daily plan (with a separate node for each
> day). In each day's node, I link to the master to-do list. Then when I
> finish a task in the master list, I archive it (which breaks the
> link). I would appreciate pointers to better modes of operation.
>
> Thanks,
> -Emin

This works for me when I use id links.

I created two tasks

,----[ todo.org ]
| * Test task
| * TODO Test target
`----

Then linked test task to test target by doing C-c l on '* Test target'
and copying the link into the body of '* Test Task' with C-c C-l

This gives me this

,----[ todo.org ]
| * Test link
|   [[id:c517f8d3-9cf3-4d86-b92d-b544874ef0af][Test target]]
| * TODO Test target
|   :PROPERTIES:
|   :ID:       c517f8d3-9cf3-4d86-b92d-b544874ef0af
|   :END:
`----

Then I archive the Test Target

,----[ todo.org_archive ]
| * TODO Test target
|   :PROPERTIES:
|   :ID:       c517f8d3-9cf3-4d86-b92d-b544874ef0af
|   :ARCHIVE_TIME: 2010-05-13 Thu 10:07
|   :ARCHIVE_FILE: ~/git/org/todo.org
|   :ARCHIVE_CATEGORY: todo
|   :ARCHIVE_TODO: TODO
|   :ARCHIVE_ITAGS: HOME
|   :END:
`----

Now following the link from todo.org still works for me.

HTH,
Bernt