[Orgmode] Re: Co-maintainer, a least for some time?

From: Matt Lundin
Subject: [Orgmode] Re: Co-maintainer, a least for some time?
Date: Thu, 20 May 2010 11:17:41 -0400

Hi Carsten,

> I am having a lot of trouble keeping up with everything here in emacs-
> orgmode, in combination with the rest of my life.
>
> Is there anyone who would be willing to step up as a co-maintainer, at
> least for some time?
>
> The tasks would include looking at small patches people submit, making
> decision about whether to apply them, checking copyright issues, and
> applying the patches.  I will be around, so important decisions can be
> deferred to me.

I'm happy to help out as much as my emacs-lisp and git skills allow.
Though others here are far more qualified to serve as an official
co-maintainer, I could try to pick up some of the slack by working on
any bug fixes, issues, patches, etc. you or the co-maintainer might be
willing to delegate.

Speaking of which, I've been meaning to sign papers with the FSF. I'll
do that ASAP.

I, too, vote for some sort of issue tracking system. Perhaps this could
be as simple as some of around us here replying to issues on the list
with an "I'll take a look at this" or "I'll take responsibility for
this." We've all been spoiled by your wonderfully quick and attentive
community to take more responsibility for claiming issues, bug fixes,
etc. within the first 24 to 48 hours of their arrival on the list. If an
issue proves too difficult to solve then the responsible party can defer
to your or the co-maintainer's expertise.

Since this is org-mode, I would prefer to use an org-mode file to track
issues. After all, the Wikipedia article on org-mode highlights its
suitability for "Distributed issue tracking."[1] The challenge, of
course, would be to coordinate this file with the mailing list. Perhaps
we could publish a remember template so that contributors, when claiming
an issue, can easily create a new todo (with a unique id) in the
org-issues file and publish the id in their reply: e.g., "opened and
claimed issue [ID number]." Just an idea...

Best,
Matt

Footnotes:

[1] Org-mode can be used as a distributed issue tracker, by storing .org
files in a distributed revision control system. Developers of the
org-babel extension to org-mode use org-mode in this way to track bugs
and feature requests. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Org-mode