Re: [Orgmode] Re: A request: Moving away from ChangeLog

From: Carsten Dominik
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] Re: A request: Moving away from ChangeLog
Date: Fri, 21 May 2010 14:15:14 +0200

On May 21, 2010, at 11:41 AM, John Wiegley wrote:

I just remembered that I'd written a script for building a properly formatted ChangeLog directly from Git history:

   http://github.com/jwiegley/git-scripts/blob/master/git-changelog

This makes it trivial to build ChangeLog entries for a range of commits, suitable for submission to Emacs. It may need a bit more work to be production-ready, but it can already produce a ChangeLog for all of org-mode.

If that is a possibility, then I am all game. The ONLY reason why I was making these entries is because Emacs requires me to make them. If we can use a script to create it just for the moment when we sync up with Emacs - GREAT.

Can I have a look at one of those ChangeLog files created with the script? Just to get the idea? Do we need to do something special in the git commit message?

If this works, lets stop writing ChangeLog.

This will make most merges working without hickups, finally. And it will make us, hopefully, write better commit messages.

- Carsten