Re: [Orgmode] Re: A request: Moving away from ChangeLog

From: Julien Danjou
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] Re: A request: Moving away from ChangeLog
Date: Fri, 21 May 2010 23:17:22 +0200

On Fri, May 21 2010, Christian Egli wrote:

> So before pouring out the baby with the bathwater maybe we should at
> least try if the git merge driver solves the main problem we have with
> the Changelog files.

This does not resolve a ugly part which is the duplication of
information: in the changelog file and in the commit changelog.

Documenting commit properly should be enough.

A better idea, if you want a user readable changelog, is 2 write the
commit message in a parseable format with 2 information: one for the
developer (what the commit changes in the code, API, whatever), and one
for the user (what it changes in the software usage). That last one only
if necessary.

And with this, it's a win-win: you can generate changelog files, and you
can read changelog while reading commit/bisecting/whatever git action
you do.

--
Julien Danjou
// ᐰ <address@hidden>   http://julien.danjou.info