Re: [Orgmode] unordered list feature request: new sub-lists automaticall

From: Livin Stephen Sharma
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] unordered list feature request: new sub-lists automatically switch to different list-character
Date: Sun, 23 May 2010 03:56:06 +0530

Livin Stephen Sharma

On May 22, 2010, at 11:12:38 , Carsten Dominik wrote:

> On May 21, 2010, at 9:14 PM, Livin Stephen Sharma wrote:
>
>> Scott, Juri,
>> thank you for your replies.
>>
>> 'org-list-demote-modify-bullet' is exactly what I was missing.
>>
>> JohnW, BerntH, Carsten,
>> AFAICT, the manual does not mention it?
>
> Maybe you could suggest a place in the manual where you would have liked to
> find this information?  Maybe even a patch?

Section "2.7 Plain lists".
That was where I went looking for this information.

Perhaps between
a. the description of 'org-empty-line-terminates-plain-lists', and
b. "The following commands act on items when the cursor is in the first line of
an item (the line with the bullet or number)"

I can't submit a patch,
 but this is what I might have liked to see (the documentation-addition that I
might have submitted):

begin
If you find that using a different bullet for a sub-list (than that used for
the current list-level) improves readability,  customize the variable
'org-list-demote-modify-bullet'. For example, this lisp in your '.emacs'
> (setq org-list-demote-modify-bullet
>         (quote (
>                         ("+" . "-") ; sub-list uses '-' if cu
>                         ("-" . "+")
>                         ("*" . "+"))))

would result in such a 2-level list (which uses only '+'):

> **** Take 5!
>        + Movies
>          + Silence of the Lambs
>          + My Cousin Vinny
>        + Books
>          + The Hunt for Red October
>          + The Road to Omaha

instead looking like this (using '-' for sub-list)

> **** Take 5!
>        + Movies
>          - Silence of the Lambs
>          - My Cousin Vinny