Re: [Orgmode] New development organization - DRAFT, please comment

From: Eric Schulte
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] New development organization - DRAFT, please comment
Date: Fri, 28 May 2010 07:26:02 -0600

Hi David,

David Maus <address@hidden> writes:

> Hi Eric,
>>I just used this file to record a babel change, and I really like the
>>overall idea and the layout.  A couple of things that occurred to me.
>
>>- would it be desirable to have a headline property (e.g. ASSIGNEE or
>>  somesuch) so that users can take responsibility of issues, and search
>>  for issues to which they've been assigned.
>
> Sounds reasonable.

Great,

I will start using this if there are cases when I want to sign up for an
issue, but won't fix it immediately.

>>- would it be difficult to tag babel files, i.e. messages with the
>>  "[babel]" marker in the headline, possibly in some automatic way,
>>  again to facilitate searching and sorting.
>
> This should be quite easy and I'll look into this.

Thanks.

>>- regarding the links to gmane articles?
>>  - this is really minor, but I personally prefer thread.gmane.org
>>    based links as they show the entire thread
>>  - how do we find the gmane id of a message?
>>  - is there an easy way to discover/generate gmane links say from
>>    information contained in an email?
>
> I've just found out that it is indeed possible to link to
> thread.gmane.org using the resolver:
>
> http://news.gmane.org/find-root.php?message_id=<MESSAGE-ID>
>
> Where MESSAGE-ID is the content of the message id header field.  I've
> changed this here so new issues will link to thread.gmane.org.
>
> This might answer the other two questions: It's the message id of an
> email that can (and should) be used to generate a gmane link.
>
> Simply use the URL mentioned above for thread display, or
> http://mid.gmane.org/MESSAGE-ID to link to a single message.  In both
> cases the message id should be hex-encoded (i.e. turning special chars
> into escape sequence, @ -> %40 etc.) using `url-hexify-string'.
>
> This function could work for Gnus to push the message id of a message
> to kill-ring and clipboard:

Thanks David, indeed the function your posted does work, and I was able
to use it with the url you posted above to quickly access the gmane
thread of this email.

Your function below raises the idea that it may be nice to have a single
place to host a small collection of functions related to use of
org-issues.org.  Maybe some form of the following simple functions could
be useful.

(defun org-issues/gmane-browse-message (id)
  "Browse the message specified by ID in gmane."
  (org-open-link-from-string
   (format "http://news.gmane.org/find-root.php?message_id=%s";
           id)))

(defun org-issue/gmane-browse ()
  "Browse the message related to the current org-issues.org
  headline in gmane."
  (interactive)
  (org-issues/gmane-browse-message
   (substring (org-entry-get (point) "ID" t) 4)))

Much Appreciated -- Eric